DURING THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC WE HAVE SET UP A LETTER-WRITING CAMPAIGN WHERE ANY YOUNG PEOPLE – YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A YOPEY – CAN EXCHANGE LETTERS WITH ELDERLY RESIDENTS IN CARE HOMES. WHILE MOST OF US ARE LOCKED DOWN WITH OUR FAMILIES, CARE HOME RESIDENTS CANNOT EVEN BE VISITED BY THEIR LOVED ONES. IMAGINE HOW THEY FEEL? TO HELP, VISIT OUR NEW FACEBOOK PAGE @IwanttohelpCareHomeResidents. WRITE A LETTER ON A SINGLE SIDE OF A4, PHOTOGRAPH IT (on your phone will do) AND EMAIL THE PHOTO TO firstname.lastname@example.org. WE WILL DO THE REST INCLUDING FORWARDING ANY REPLIES TO YOU.
• YOPEY is 'Creating Tomorrow's Great Citizens Today'. • YOPEY runs Befriender schemes where young people befriend lonely care homes residents, many living with dementia.
• YOPEY Befrienders take part in publicity to give the younger generation a fairer image in the media. • By doing this YOPEY improves relations between the generations, including reducing the elderly's fear of teenagers. It also reduces the stigma associated with dementia.
• YOPEY is supported by grants from charitable trusts and by care homes paying for their own YOPEY Befriender scheme. Other companies can sponsor schemes and be promoted in return.
• From 2005 to 2017 YOPEY ran over 80 Young People of the Year campaigns to give young people a fairer image in the media. Thousands of young people took part from charity fundraisers and youth leaders to young people who have turned their lives around – all being positive role models for the younger generation.
• All these campaigns and the positive press they generated are now archived on this website but can still be seen by the public and continue to promote the participants as positive role models.
Fundraising for YOPEY made easy
YOPEY has paid to register with Virgin Money Giving. This is just like JustGiving only cheaper for us and passes every penny of your fundraising – and GiftAid where appropriate – direct to YOPEY.
Anyone can set up their page in aid of YOPEY by clicking here although we would love to hear what you plan to do and may be able to help. So why not email us first with your idea by clicking by emailing...
YOPEY puts on The Ritz to celebrate
YOPEY founder Tony Gearing spoke about the first 10 years of campaigning to give young people a fairer image at The Ritz London.
He also called on young people “not to do a Russell Brand” and vote in the general election.
Tony also thanked The Ritz for donating the reception – held in the famous hotel’s Music Room – and praised its staff for “serving us so smoothly and efficiently”.
This is his full speech:
“It is 10 years since I ran my first Young People of the Year campaign.