• Young People of the Year or 'YOPEY' is a campaign to give young people a fairer image in the media – and society as a whole – by 'revealing, recognising and rewarding' young unsung heroes and setting them up as positive role models for other young people to copy.
• By doing this YOPEY improves relations between the generations, including reducing the elderly's fear of teenagers.
• National leaders praise YOPEY. You can read endorsements from Prime Ministers on this page. To see endorsements by UK leaders click on Next Page at the bottom of this page.
• YOPEY is mainly supported by commercial companies as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility. But it can also promote your business. YOPEY can train staff volunteers to give presentations on good citizenship.
• Sponsors range from FTSE100 companies to SMEs. You can see all of them on our Thanks pages. We also receive support from public services, such as police and councils, and charitable trusts.
• YOPEY also runs Befriender schemes where young people befriend elderly people in care homes, often living with dementia.
• Together with all these people YOPEY is 'Creating Tomorrow's Great Citizens Today'.
• We have stopped using an 0845 number, but this remains on older sections of this website, which are unaltered records of YOPEYs at that time. Please call YOPEY on 01440 821654.
Fundraising for YOPEY made easy
YOPEY has paid to register with Virgin Money Giving. This is just like JustGiving only cheaper for us and passes every penny of your fundraising – and GiftAid where appropriate – direct to YOPEY.
Anyone can set up their page in aid of YOPEY by clicking here although we would love to hear what you plan to do and may be able to help. So why not email us first with your idea by clicking by emailing...
Your school's sixth-form could put on YOPEY awards...
Your school could help YOPEY to put on an awards ceremony. In the film below about 30 sixth-formers from Ely College, the local comprehensive in the town of the same name, put on the Cambridgeshire YOPEYs at Ely Cathedral... Left you can read letters of thanks from a couple of other schools to put on YOPEY awards. We have many more such references and nowadays YOPEY founder Tony Gearing gives a personal reference to every young person who helps to put on an awards ceremony....
Honorary YOPEYs reach parts others don’t
At Young People of the Year we never cease to be amazed at the marvellous ‘giving to others’ that young people in the UK do. They commit themselves without seeking recognition or reward, but YOPEY believes in ‘revealing, recognising and rewarding’ these unsung heroes.
Unfortunately, YOPEY competitions do not take part across the whole of the country (yet!) so some amazing young people still miss out on getting the praise they deserve. But not any more…
YOPEY has decided to create a special category of Honorary YOPEY...
YOPEY Befriender wins top £25,000 award from Aviva
The YOPEY charity won the biggest prize of £25,000 in a national funding competition and is now looking for partners to help expand its befriending scheme between schools and care homes to Norfolk and Suffolk.
YOPEY Befriender came top out of over 3,000 good causes nationwide in the Aviva Community Fund challenge to get enough votes to be put into the final and then be judged by a panel of the insurer’s staff.
“It was a bit like ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ and I was the performer,” said the
Half-price holidays in luxury French house in aid of YOPEY
How would you like to take a large group of family or friends to a luxury holiday home in southern Normandy that sleeps up to 18?
The owners have donated holidays in 2016 to be sold in aid of the YOPEY charity. What’s more we can offer them for half the price you would pay to hire this impressive property as the owners want to help YOPEY.
Le Verger de Pommiers (The Apple Orchard) with its seven bedrooms and heated outdoor pool normally sells for up to £1795 per week. We are offering it for £795 per week plus
Discounted holidays at Spanish villa from under £90 per person
If you would like to holiday at this luxury villa in 2016 you can. One week is being sold in aid of this charity for £900 or two weeks for £1700. These are heavily discounted prices compared to the normal price of at least £1000 per week, and only available through YOPEY.
Check out the villa's official website and its normal prices here www.casalacelada.com.
Nestled in the southernmost foothills of Andalucia lies a stunning, privately-owned...
YOPEY's first 10 years celebrated at The Ritz London
YOPEY founder Tony Gearing spoke about the first 10 years of campaigning to give young people a fairer image at The Ritz London.
He also called on young people “not to do a Russell Brand” and vote in the general election.
Tony also thanked The Ritz for donating the reception – held in the famous hotel’s Music Room – and praised its staff for “serving us so smoothly and efficiently”.
This is his full speech:
“It is 10 years since I ran my first Young People